Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Writing it down before I forget.

I can't believe it's been two months since my Dad died. So much has happened and changed and it just seems weird that he isn't here anymore. There are some other parts of the funeral that I feel the need to write down so I don't forget- and that I want to share because it's important.

We did 'Memories of a Father' and each child got up and shared one memory of my Dad with everyone. It was awesome really. I've got eight siblings, an older brother and seven younger sisters. Which to me (now as a parent) is amazing. But growing up it was just life, just how things were.

My older (only) brother talked about how he would go to scout campouts with my Dad, who always seemed to be involved with scouts in some way. My Dad LOVES the outdoors. Loves camping and anything remotely related. How somehow sitting at a campfire you felt closer to God then anywhere else. (I'm paraphrasing). Then he says, 'I'd like to sing a song that my Dad liked to sing at the campfire.' My brother doesn't sing. At least not in front of people. Then he started, "Pine trees, pine trees, pine trees, pine trees, Pine trees, pine trees Pine treeeeesss, (by now we're all laughing and crying because that is SO my dad) pine trees, pine trees pine trees, pine trees, pine trees, pine trees, pine trees.

It was perfect. A wonderful tribute to my dad by my brother. I just wanted to share it with you. I miss my Dad. Really. A lot.

9 comments:

Blackeyedsue said...

What a wonderful memory of your dad. I am so sorry for your loss.
(((Hugs)))

Lee said...

What a fun memory. You have been in my thoughts a lot lately. I can't believe it has already been two months. ((hugs)) I am so sorry.

sheri said...

What a great memory for all of you! ((hugs))

Sabra at Sew a Straight Line said...

No wonder you have such a fun personality! What a great dad. Love you!

Lanell said...

Thanks for sharing about your dad. From everything I've heard about him he sounds like such a great man!!

QueenMeadow said...

What a fun memory :), sounds a lot like my dad. ((hugs))

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

(((HUGS))) Ambre. Keep writing stuff down!

bon said...

How funny! My mom and her sister's all got together to "sing" a similar song after my Pa's funeral... (he was in the ice and water business).

It went "water water WAH-ter, water water WAH-ter."

Millie said...

So sorry to hear about your dad. He does sound like an awesome guy.

We did a similar thing at my grandfather's funeral a few years ago - all the descendants were there, and most of us had stories. My cousin told one about the time my 3-year-old told Gran, "I want a cookie," and Gran answered, "People in hell want ice water!" It turned tears to laughter pretty quickly.

Blessings to you and your family.