Sunday, July 30, 2006

Catching up.. a LONG post..

Get comfy, grab some popcorn.

Ready?

Okay-

July 24th celebrates the day that the Mormon pioneers entered the Salt Lake Valley after being kicked out of every other place they called home by angry mobs who either wanted their land, were afriad of their voting power or didn't like their religious beliefs. Utah at that time wasn't part of the United States (or even called Utah for that matter) and was a desert that didn't look habital. The the largest water source? The Great Salt Lake- which must have looked so refreshing and inviting from a distance, until it tasted like salt.

So we celebrate every year to remember the pioneers who walked across the plains of what is now the midwest of the United States- but at the time was 'The West' which was largely unexplored and dangerous.

So we had some friends over, ate Mexican food (because really what better way to remember the pioneers then by having a fiesta?
Apparently there is a table hierchy at our house- you've got to be female to sit at the table...
Or willing to eat your feet (isn't she so cute!!)

And what good is a fiesta without a pinata?? It's a covered wagon- which is how the pioneers carried their stuff to 'the west' while they walked (and walked and walked and walked).
Yes I made it myself....


Here is Steve helping Annika taking a swing..


This is possibly the cutest little boy ever isn't he? The only thing that makes him cuter??
He has a twin sister!! Seriously- so cute!

This is my best friends little girl Hannah showing off her loot. Seriously so much candy!! Kid heaven.

It was a great party. Tons of fun. If you want to know more about the Mormon Pioneers go here.


Then Tuesday Emily flew to San Diego to hang out with her husband while he was on a business trip. So I had her three kids and my four kids for two days. Really it wasn't that hard- I even took all seven of them to the park (with my mom). But they play well together and enjoy spending time together. When Emily came home they weren't ready to leave. Really? Does it get better then this? What a package!
Here are Sarah and Cori taking a bath after a particularly messy dinner. They're only like 2 weeks apart in age.



Last night we went on a triple date. Steve and I went out with Emily and Scott and Julie and Brad. We went to dinner at Red Robin and then went to Walmart and bought gifts for eachother. Sounds cheesy (and it is) but we had $3.50 per person and we split up into guys and girls and the two women who weren't married to the guy got to pick his gift and visa versa with the guys. We got some hysterical stuff (miracle grow hair stuff for the bald guy, some hideous 80's earrings for Emily, a three pack of 'baby boy' bibs for Steve (with the comment that they're expecting triplet boys in nine months- yes my friends hate me). It was really fun. Then we got ice cream at Coldstone. I should have known something wasn't right when I really didn't feel like eating ice cream- by the time we got home and found that Ashley had been throwing up I was joining her. That wasn't so fabulous.

Now it's Sunday evening and we've all taken a turn (except Cori) and my kids have spent the day watching videos (I think they've watched Chicken Little at least three times) and I slept until 2:30pm. Just as I was wakingup Steve was going to bed because he was getting it. Being sick sucks- but even worse when everyone takes a turn. The girls are currently eating dinner made by Ashley (mac and cheese) so I think they're feeling better- but the whining? It's not stopped.

So if you're still with me you deserve a cookie. Good job.

9 comments:

Emily said...

I've missed you, but it sounds like you are having a blast!

Valarie said...

I'm going to hold you to that cookie comment. good to see you posting.

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

I'm ROFL that you made a pioneer pinata. Glad yer back to posting.

Arlyn said...

Yuck! It's bad enough when the kids get sick. When the parents get sick, there's something wrong in the world.

momofalltrades said...

How fun! Sorry to hear you're all sick and stuff. I'll send you some virtual chicken soup. :O)

Maria said...

oh yuck... everyone sick! So sorry! That can NOT be fun! But glad you are mostly on the other side of it now.

Kermit~the~Frog said...

Ugh, Ugh, sorry about the flu!

How cool was that pinata? The party looked really fun.

At first, when you said you weren't in the mood for ice cream, I thought you were pregnant. Heh.

All the kids are adorable.

bon said...

No fair no fair! Puking, meh!

A cookie? One of those "tuxedo" cookies from your website? I'm IN!

Sabra at Sew a Straight Line said...

yay for pioneers. sorry about sickies. you seem to have a lot of friends. fun ones, too. your kids are cute. other kids are cute. we totally did a similar gift thing with some friends a couple years ago. i got a debbie gibson single. wilson phillips, too. helarious. love you.